#naturephotography


#naturephotography  

Originally shared by Colby Brown

"Connecting with Nature"
Ngorngoro Crater, Tanzania

Favorite Images of 2013
http://bit.ly/2013YearinReflection

In the summer of 2013 I was fortunate to have the ability to spend a month exploring the beautiful country of Tanzania while leading two humanitarian focused photography workshops for my company The Giving Lens. While the main focus of these workshops was our work with the Maasai and supporting smaller organizations that helped families with HIV and low income schools, TGL structured the trip so that all of our participants were also able to spend some time with Africa's wildlife. Ultimately each of our workshops had a few days in the Serengeti as well as the famous Ngorongoro Crater, a just reward after spending a few days living in a Maasai village.

While I might not advertise myself as a wildlife photographer, I certainly enjoy the challenges that it presents on my adventures. It can be very rewording to be taken out of your creative comfort zone now and than to help you push the limits of your knowledge and skills.

The Giving Lens is about to announce our 2014 humanitarian workshops in Tanzania, so stay tuned!

Camera Details:
Camera: Canon 1Dx
Lens: Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS + 1.4x Extender
ISO: 8000
Exposure: 1/250 sec at f/8

Because this photo was taken handheld during a light rain storm, I had to push the ISO up above my normal tolerance level. Luckily the 1dx handles high ISO like a champ. Post processing was not too involved with this image as I made a few minor adjustments to highlights, shadows and contrast in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and then brough out a little shadow detail around the eyes. The final touches involved jumping into Adobe Photoshop  to apply both noise reduction (using Nik Software's Dfine 2) and Sharpening (using Nik Software's Sharpener Pro 3) with layer masks based on luminosity blending to make sure I applied sharpening and noise to the correct pixels.

To see more of my favorite images from 2013, click here:
http://bit.ly/2013YearinReflection

#wildlifewednesday

Comments

Popular Posts