Friday Favourites

Friday Favourites
Not only does Mick Sharpe create a great roundup of things in the Plusverse, his commentary is fun to read.
#fridayfavourites
Originally shared by Mick Sharpe
In the end zone
Apparently something called the Super Bowl happened this week. While I missed the game itself and the #leftshark love of the half time show I did catch some of the lively debate about this year’s crop of ads. I have to say I have a bit of a soft spot for the Newcastle Band of Brands. I would have to really as it was originally brewed not too many miles from me and I fondly remember many a session with a bottle of dog (explanatory page here http://goo.gl/YZw1BG :-) ). In fairness I really admired the idea of turning the tried and tested methodologies upside down. Take a look at their ad and the videos during the run up and see what you think (http://goo.gl/1JAcyM)
It was definitely a #GetYourLearnOn day last Friday starting with The Mia Connect Power Chat looking at Cybersecurity & Hacking (http://goo.gl/HRhRoJ). A constant for anyone with any kind of web presence, Mia Voss talks with MaAnna Stephenson, Lorien Green, Jason Polancich and Danielle Zeedick about the issues that are relevant today. Get the lowdown on #RansomWare, the latest hacking episodes, scams, phishing, privacy - it’s all here and it’s important stuff to know. To emphasise the relevance I viewed the stats on a phishing email I received last week (they used a goo.gl link!) - it had received over 2500 clicks in the first three hours. Be aware people.
Following on with Chef Dennis Littley and Good Day Google+ - Video Game Development and Design (http://goo.gl/O8k24e). Chef talks with games developers Christopher Ross, Corey Cochran, David Berry and Christina Parker about their latest endeavours and the latest news in the game development arena. Eli Fennell and matthew rappaport share their gaming insights and experiences including video streaming and virtual reality. An interesting discussion and good to see the smaller games design companies in action.
If you’ve had your eyes opened by the Power Chat then you will probably want to view the DDoS and Cybersecurity Power Talk from Black Lotus. Two episodes this week hosted by Mia Voss. Episode 8 (http://goo.gl/tUejrK) featuring Vann Abernethy and Episode 9 (http://goo.gl/paBfww) featuring Ian Foo. It pays to keep ahead of the security curve.
I always enjoy seeing a new show air so I was pleased to catch Social Theory: The Theory Of Empathy (http://goo.gl/BcJlcT) - a new venture from Thomas E. Hanna | BlogPhoto.tv. In this first episode Thomas talks with Relationship Marketing enthusiast Wade Harman. I always enjoy Wade’s point of view on the feelings evoked by the word marketing. His approach of wanting to help as much as receive help here is one that will resonate with many. Another great takeaway - you can achieve the big picture by concentrating on the little things. Excellent exploration of the human psyche and its impact on our relationships both on and offline. Watch out for the getting to know you better This or That quiz in the middle section. Really looking forward to where this goes! Great job guys.
A very enthusiastic Jason T. Wiser on Joey Giangola’s Fearlessly Questioning Your Comfort Zone (http://goo.gl/0mE9Pg). I’m always impressed by Jason’s passion and honesty and it shines through, even in the slightly uncomfortable sections of this deep dive. Jason turns the tables and asks us why we watch HOAs? I have to admire Jason sticking to his guns, driving his business forward, changing track when necessary (see the subtle link there?). Well worth the 37 minutes.
Belligerent Dumbass Even - Influence with Integrity or Malicious Manipulation (http://goo.gl/OdRIk5) almost slipped by unnoticed this week and it would have been a great miss. I always enjoy Oleg Moskalensky’s thought processes and wit evident throughout this conversation with David Amerland largely about our relationships and integrity. Oleg also does a sterling job of promoting David’s new book SEO Help: 20 Semantic Search Steps That Will Help Your Business Grow. Fascinating insight into interpersonal skills or the lack thereof!
Making the future fun
Fascinating conversation with martin shervington and Thomas Frey (http://goo.gl/VxbpQ5) looking at the future and what it may hold. The line between science fiction and reality is getting less defined as we move forward and this is a fascinating insight into what is being thought about now. Very interesting section on catalytic changes and the opportunities that arise - I can’t believe it’s pot butter! Sensors, hyperpersonalisation and 3D printing - it’s going to be an interesting ride.
Thinkers corner
Be careful what you say is the big takeaway from The Burning Helicopter Question (http://goo.gl/3F13lv). David Amerland shares his thoughts on the latest revelations regarding a reporter’s recollection of his time in Iraq. It’s crystal clear these days that anything that isn’t true will eventually be outed and probably sooner rather than later. It’s always tempting to add a little embellishment to a tale but if you ever needed any more convincing about being honest and maintaining integrity this should do it.
As if to prove the point, take a look at Business Book Authors, Best Sellers and Your Time and Money (http://goo.gl/x8FKr9) where Vincent Messina links to his article revealing some gaming of the Best Seller Lists because of the value of Social Proof to maximise sales. A very interesting read that will maybe open your eyes and change your outlook when viewing data online.
And finally…
Stereotypes anyone? (http://goo.gl/EfcY5M) is a David Amerland share of a recent MSNBC broadcast featuring Russell Brand. As David points out this is both hilarious and rather worrying as the MSNBC dig themselves a deeper hole with their repeated third person faux pas and presumably a lack of preparation.
Have a great weekend wherever you are
#WeeklyRoundUp #WeekInReview #Google+
#BitingedgeFridayFavourites #MicksPicks
Created by Mick Sharpe of Bitingedge
Comments
Post a Comment