Automated Publishing
Automated Publishing
Gideon Rosenblatt takes an in depth look at how the publishing world has changed, what the change means for consumers, and how it affects
associated employment for writers, editors, etc.
#publishing #automatedpublishing #writers #editors
http://www.the-vital-edge.com/publishing-industry/
Gideon Rosenblatt takes an in depth look at how the publishing world has changed, what the change means for consumers, and how it affects
associated employment for writers, editors, etc.
#publishing #automatedpublishing #writers #editors
http://www.the-vital-edge.com/publishing-industry/

Thanks so much, Zara Altair. That one was a whopper. Super long. I'm glad you made it through it. It did help me to understand more of the nuances of what's happening as automation moves through the publishing sector - separating the effects on publishers from those on writers and editors.
ReplyDeleteSo long as there are actual books I'll be happy. While I can read this article and enjoy it, the Kindle experience leads me to skimming and not reading. On the other hand, unless it's a local or hyper-local newspaper, I get my news one story at a time, from online sources I trust.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to me that some of the efforts by larger companies to start local and hyper-local online papers have crashed and burned while I don't see the local entry level publishers beginning the same 'papers'.
I saw a brilliant domain, the entry point for any attractive native-search online business, and yet it was being sold for nearly nothing. With a few hundred dollars a person could lay the foundation for dozens of local and hyper-local papers.
The task then becomes the same four things as your father faced: finding reporters (content), editing adverisers and putting it in the hands/eyes of readers. (In this example, of course, the overriding task is first finding the enthusiastic, driven local publisher...like your father.)
It always boils now to the same four things for news organizations. Or so I feel...just saying.
No question that the digital experience is far, far less than ideal, Stuart O'Neill. Even this post was an experiment; it's way longer than anything else I've published. The truth is that it got relatively little attention compared to other things I've written. Personally, when it's something important, I still prefer paper.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, it's interesting that the local markets for news still seem to struggle a bit. I'm involved in a magazine that supplements subscriptions w/ philanthropy and it works. I think magazines are proving that model. Question is whether it works for news too.
Gideon Rosenblatt I did read the entire article. Well researched. The subject matter is one of my life "themes." Thank you very much for all the work.
ReplyDeleteYes, when I am reading I still prefer paper. On the other hand, I read the online Espresso from The Economist every morning while enjoying quality cat time. :)
Gideon Rosenblatt While that may have been the longest 'post' you have made it reminds me of the fine long form writing and journalism still found in such diverse magazines as Vanity Fair, Wired and Rolling Stone. Well done! Cross publishing is probably one thought...but then you've already considered it. :)
ReplyDeleteAs to newspapers, I am watching the Christian Science Monitor, a fine newspaper, the changes they've made and whether it sustains them long term. The Guardian (US edition) is one of my favorites as well. I don't know their economic structure.
I have a close G+'er friend in Europe that was frustrated by news coverage in general. I suggested he read the US edition of The Guardian and the CSMonitor.com. He pinged me back within the hour and said he learned more from simply their headlines than he did from most stories.
Now that's a compliment.
Thanks Stuart O'Neill. Yes, I should probably post it on my Medium account. Next week!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been reading CSM and may add it to my regulars, but The Guardian is a regular for me. They are supers solid. Same with The Economist.
I would link it to Twitter to this account with a separate note to Jay Rosen a very well thought of media professor and critic. He has a major presence about media changes on Twitter.@jay_rosennyc He has an account here but it is seldom used. We used to correspond on Twitter but it's been sometime. When I remember his website I'll PM you.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I used to follow him here, Stuart O'Neill. He's interesting, for sure. Maybe I'll mention him when I publish it on Medium. Thanks for the idea.
ReplyDelete