Google+ has taught me to trust total strangers, some of them becoming friends, even though we live oceans and...

Google+ has taught me to trust total strangers, some of them becoming friends, even though we live oceans and continents apart. Shared thoughts, shared laughs, questions, answers all shared without judgment...for the most part.:)
Trust is not a game. I don't do contests. They are exclusionary by nature setting one apart and by so doing placing the non-winning contestants in a #lessthan position. They imply and require judging as to who/what is best. Trust is not about being best, it is, if I understand the concept, about being who you are and respectfully listening to other thoughts and opinions.
I know the current trend is to gamify concepts, theoretically bringing more people onboard, by offering rewards--stars, bottles of wine, badges to put on a website, etc. It doesn't work in schools, and, as an adult, it doesn't work for me.
I'm reading the entries, but not participating.
Totally agree Zara Altair even though I wrote here it is also not as an entry per se as I already had David's most excellent book already.
ReplyDeleteKristin Drysdale had planted the seed that I should check out what CISE might say on the subject and so I took a look and was quite pleasantly surprised by the output.
Peter Hatherley Just a hunch, but I believe you could write on trust even without CISE. Oh, did I say that? :)
ReplyDeleteZara Altair Too true. Yet I really find CISE's conceptual mirrors reflect the facets of the diamond so effectively that I can't help checking them out!
ReplyDeleteIt's an enigma to me. No one bags photographers for using Photoshop for instance so why should it be any different with writing?
We could intentionally avoid using Photoshop altogether but what would be the benefit? Would we be any more creative without it?
Yet as you'd imagine it's possibly even harder for me to avoid the temptation to access the instant synopses that CISE produces simply to test whether it get's it right or not.
Either way it's always been quite inspirational to browse through these relative concepts especially prior to writing ';D)
#ConceptShop
#ConceptShop :) What an apt analogy, conceptual mirrors and Photoshop.
ReplyDeleteI love it when you get feisty, Zara Altair - - it's often when I learn the most. =)
ReplyDeleteI agree with your sentiments here so much (and truly get a kick out of the graphic). =D
When Oleg Moskalensky gave me judiciary control over "how" the book would be given away I considered two things:
1) I wanted to create a way to entice people to come check out the community and get more involved and...
2) I needed a way to determine the "winner" in a way which would preserve the nature of this community.
I feel it's of utmost importance to celebrate the uniqueness of each individual. Therefore, I explicitly set out to create something that anyone could feel free to contribute to in a meaningful way and not feel the pressure of being judged against another... thus my idea of using random.org to generate the recipient...
Apologies if something about my messaging was not clear and you felt put off. I agree with the views you've expressed here and I'm not a keen fan of gamification either.