Cloud computing. I have my personal plusses and minuses about cloud computing.

Cloud computing. I have my personal plusses and minuses about cloud computing. 
Thought this was worth a share.
Chime-in thoughts welcome.
#cloudcomputing  

Originally shared by GetCloudServices

How The Cloud Is Impacting Business

This is part of a series that Forbes is doing. Really great reading! It's a Q&A with Chairman of Constellation Research, INC, Ray Wang (who apparently has thought about the cloud more than anyone). 

You can read part 2 of the series below or catch part 1 first here: http://gplus.ly/1l3XfsH

HT DYONYX 

#thecloud   #cloudcomputing   #business  
http://gplus.ly/1l3X14O

Comments

  1. If you run your own cloud you can control who has access to it as well as what content is on it.

    In contrast: most cloud services will provide maintenance free shared services at a premium.

    This can be illustrated in the same manner as the difference between dedicated server service vs shared server resources or a sub-domain.

    The problem lies in first of all who else has access to your private information and cloud server, and secondly when you may have opposing views to the policy of our leaders the potential to use your cloud as a means of compliance is a very real threat if they decide to restrict you access as  a means of punishment until you comply.

    For the latter reasons I would be inclined to
    a) Thoroughly read the policy agreement of your cloud services ideology towards there customers rights and privacy
    b) Err on the side of having full control of your cloud

    Most people won't even consider these points when seeking cloud services and the marketing around services like cloud computing is pushing convenience over security.

    Thomas Jefferson said to enjoy liberty & freedoms you must always be eternally vigilant and he was right.

    Like good food it might cost a little more but in the end, you get what you pay for.
    Hey, but that's just my point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin Case Why does it not surprise me you are the first to comment? In my mind cloud services are definitely a place where you pull out all the stops on your #controlfreak  side.
    Thank you for your intelligent and thoughtful post.
    The price of  freedom is eternal vigilance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to thank you for bringing the interesting article to my attention.  When it first came across my desk as work/email spam or bacon, I totally ignored it because of the word "SAPvoice" (distaste for SAP software and sales) and because I perceive "cloud computing" as putting my computing or my employer's data into the unknown fog.
    With all of that bias, I still really enjoyed the article.
    I just disagree that the cost of sensors is too high.  I've found that the sensor cost is actually becoming quite cheap, but the sensor vendors want to sell the sensors with all sorts of add-ons and software.  So, what a manufacturing business needs is a sort of IT guy or engineer who can integrate the cheap sensor in-house with existing software or with a PLC box than can then hit the existing software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven Young Glad you were able to take a second look. Sometimes context makes a great difference. :) 
    Thank you for your comment especially about cost. I think that can help people re-evaluate their position on cloud use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zara Altair thanks for sharing! :D

    Justin Case wow! Very valid points and 100% right. Most people never consider those facts and they really should.

    Steven Young very good points indeed. Glad you enjoyed the article and added your voice to the conversation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts