Recreation = RE-creation

Recreation = RE-creation
Do you play?
Another inspiring post from Reformation Designs
Originally shared by Backup of Reformation Designs
Make Time to Play
by Ryan J. Rhoades
original post: http://goo.gl/9ur8SK
prints & merch: http://goo.gl/Oz8adk
Learning to play again is extremely important if you want to remain consistently creative.
What were some of your favorite things to do as a kid? I'm pretty sure that it wasn't balancing your checkbook, creating next month's budget, or spending 40+ hours a week sitting in the same place, doing the same things.
I loved building things when I was younger. Whether it was Legos, giant "waffle blocks", or Play-Doh, I was always creating things out of nothing. Doing so is still a passion of mine today, hence why I write, draw, paint, and create many types of multimedia.
In our workaholic culture, the notion of "play" for play's sake is about as foreign as can be. Even despite how many studies I've looked at and books I've read that prove that consistently taking time for recreation leads to a happier, more fulfilled life, it's still a struggle for me sometimes.
I recently read a book called "Play It Away" by Charlie Hoehn that helped me immensely. Charlie worked actively alongside Tim Ferriss (author of the immensely popular book, The Four Hour Work Week) and found himself dealing with almost crippling anxiety and panic attacks as a result of the amount of time and energy he was putting into his work.
It took him awhile, but he figured out that he was dealing with a complete lack of recreation in his life. Once he re-discovered the "power of play", his mental and physical health began to quickly turn around.
If you are the type of person who finds yourself losing sleep and your inner peace because of how much you're obsessing about your work, I cannot recommend Charlie's book highly enough.
There are a ton of tools, tips, and tricks in the book that will jump-start the creativity and care-free nature that we all had as children and get you enjoying your life again.
Find that thing that makes you come alive. Whether it is writing, painting, pottery, bird-watching, or heck...even if it's building giant castles out of Legos...find that thing and carve out some time out of your insanely busy schedule to enjoy yourself.
You'll be glad that you did.
- Ryan J. Rhoades
www.reformationdesigns.com
original post: http://goo.gl/9ur8SK
prints & merch: http://goo.gl/Oz8adk
#success #inspiration #reformationdesigns #anxiety #panic #play
Never underestimate the power of play. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeletePhil Bowyer The power of play...awesome!
ReplyDelete