Take the Slow Train
Take the Slow Train
Gina Fiedel takes one of my favourite classical quotes and applies it to web presence.
Good read.
#seofornow #webpresence
Originally shared by Gina Fiedel
The Slow Web Groovy Connection: Depth & Reach Or Fast Web Frenzy
Make Haste Slowly
The Slow Web Movement has captured my imagination and is ushering me towards an ever-evolving realization that we are free to combine swift efficiency with an aware and measured pace, to shape a more worthwhile online experience. One that will encourage actually remembering what it was that we experienced in those moments that tend to go by. Fast.
http://www.fateyes.com/the-slow-web-groovy-or-fast-web-frenzy/
...That’s more appreciative of creative forces and deliciously fruitful. That allows time and territories for relationships to build organically with our customers, audience, peers. That provides better and more thoughtful, thorough customer service.
...Helps us to gain more lasting and valuable knowledge; goes beyond information. And doesn't leave out delightful imagination, savored daydream moments, intensive learning, playful escapades. An experience of discovery. Not nourished by stress. Or ready distraction.
A Deeper Online Adventure
I’d like that myself. What about you?
I crave depth and meaning, …_more_ meaning in everything I do [online]. Intimacy, a more destination-based, interactive experience that stimulates and satisfies. I long to have space to relish the ideas that I encounter, that captivate my mind and my heart. But I seem to be short on time. I’m crazed for time. Too often, there’s a voice in my head that says, “I don’t have time”. I’m tired of hearing it.
That's an indication I’m in need of a change but not the change you might suspect I’m thinking of. In fact, I am going to turn it on its head. I believe we can create a more meaningful experience and make time itself rich and full by slowing ourselves down, as opposed to speeding up. It will benefit business, not detract from it.
I'm not looking to unplug or disengage.
~ How fast do we have to go to prove to ourselves that what we do has Value?
~ Why Should Fast Define Us?
~ Are We Really Committed To Everything Happening In Real Time?
~ What If We Slow Down And Accept Whatever Speed Happens To Occur Naturally?
I hope you’ll read on:
http://www.fateyes.com/the-slow-web-depth-or-fast-web-frenzy/
Ironic case in point:_ The other day, I was beginning work on this post. It was Sunday and I was allowing myself to be pulled in multiple digital directions all at once: three private chats pinging sounds included, making plans to hear my niece’s band play, online scheduling, responding to + mentions in the Google Plus stream, answering emails and trying to think and write all at the same time. That’s simply insane. And the exact opposite of what I crave (not to mention the absolute antithesis of what I’m writing about). I usually very little no will-power to turn it off, close the browser window, quit Outlook. That’s all it would take to give me the spacious quiet I needed. Eventually, I turned it all off and put my full attention to this. But I’m clearly addicted to the feeling of connection and the stimulation and it’s hard to let it go._
This article is an illustration of how an atmosphere of collaboration can come as a natural extension of our relationships here on Google Plus
I first encountered the concept of the Slow Web in an article from Teodora Petkova that tied Slow Web with our experience here on the Plus in the way we develop meaningful relationships. And then later in a “response” of sorts from David Kutcher in which he added in his analytical and practical mind with ways we can improve the user experience of our website visitors. (links in the article)
My last article was on the topic of collaboration and David took my [collaboration] cue by inviting me (and two others) to read and comment truthfully on his article prior to publication, while in edit mode. What transpired was a very interesting conversation about what he’d written. One of the things that occurred was that I found myself having more and different to say, additional things I wanted to think about. But that wouldn’t have been David. It was me. It was then that I realized it was time to write my own take on the subject. We talked about it and he is expecting this article as is Teodora. The article I am posting here.
Post shared by Gina Fiedel for Fat Eyes Web Development
If you would like to be included in my Notification Circle, please let me know in the comments.
#TheSlowWeb #Collaboration #slowweb
http://www.fateyes.com/the-slow-web-groovy-or-fast-web-frenzy
Gina Fiedel takes one of my favourite classical quotes and applies it to web presence.
Good read.
#seofornow #webpresence
Originally shared by Gina Fiedel
The Slow Web Groovy Connection: Depth & Reach Or Fast Web Frenzy
Make Haste Slowly
The Slow Web Movement has captured my imagination and is ushering me towards an ever-evolving realization that we are free to combine swift efficiency with an aware and measured pace, to shape a more worthwhile online experience. One that will encourage actually remembering what it was that we experienced in those moments that tend to go by. Fast.
http://www.fateyes.com/the-slow-web-groovy-or-fast-web-frenzy/
...That’s more appreciative of creative forces and deliciously fruitful. That allows time and territories for relationships to build organically with our customers, audience, peers. That provides better and more thoughtful, thorough customer service.
...Helps us to gain more lasting and valuable knowledge; goes beyond information. And doesn't leave out delightful imagination, savored daydream moments, intensive learning, playful escapades. An experience of discovery. Not nourished by stress. Or ready distraction.
A Deeper Online Adventure
I’d like that myself. What about you?
I crave depth and meaning, …_more_ meaning in everything I do [online]. Intimacy, a more destination-based, interactive experience that stimulates and satisfies. I long to have space to relish the ideas that I encounter, that captivate my mind and my heart. But I seem to be short on time. I’m crazed for time. Too often, there’s a voice in my head that says, “I don’t have time”. I’m tired of hearing it.
That's an indication I’m in need of a change but not the change you might suspect I’m thinking of. In fact, I am going to turn it on its head. I believe we can create a more meaningful experience and make time itself rich and full by slowing ourselves down, as opposed to speeding up. It will benefit business, not detract from it.
I'm not looking to unplug or disengage.
~ How fast do we have to go to prove to ourselves that what we do has Value?
~ Why Should Fast Define Us?
~ Are We Really Committed To Everything Happening In Real Time?
~ What If We Slow Down And Accept Whatever Speed Happens To Occur Naturally?
I hope you’ll read on:
http://www.fateyes.com/the-slow-web-depth-or-fast-web-frenzy/
Ironic case in point:_ The other day, I was beginning work on this post. It was Sunday and I was allowing myself to be pulled in multiple digital directions all at once: three private chats pinging sounds included, making plans to hear my niece’s band play, online scheduling, responding to + mentions in the Google Plus stream, answering emails and trying to think and write all at the same time. That’s simply insane. And the exact opposite of what I crave (not to mention the absolute antithesis of what I’m writing about). I usually very little no will-power to turn it off, close the browser window, quit Outlook. That’s all it would take to give me the spacious quiet I needed. Eventually, I turned it all off and put my full attention to this. But I’m clearly addicted to the feeling of connection and the stimulation and it’s hard to let it go._
This article is an illustration of how an atmosphere of collaboration can come as a natural extension of our relationships here on Google Plus
I first encountered the concept of the Slow Web in an article from Teodora Petkova that tied Slow Web with our experience here on the Plus in the way we develop meaningful relationships. And then later in a “response” of sorts from David Kutcher in which he added in his analytical and practical mind with ways we can improve the user experience of our website visitors. (links in the article)
My last article was on the topic of collaboration and David took my [collaboration] cue by inviting me (and two others) to read and comment truthfully on his article prior to publication, while in edit mode. What transpired was a very interesting conversation about what he’d written. One of the things that occurred was that I found myself having more and different to say, additional things I wanted to think about. But that wouldn’t have been David. It was me. It was then that I realized it was time to write my own take on the subject. We talked about it and he is expecting this article as is Teodora. The article I am posting here.
Post shared by Gina Fiedel for Fat Eyes Web Development
If you would like to be included in my Notification Circle, please let me know in the comments.
#TheSlowWeb #Collaboration #slowweb
http://www.fateyes.com/the-slow-web-groovy-or-fast-web-frenzy
Thanks so much for sharing this piece, Zara Altair! I appreciate getting this word out.
ReplyDeleteAs I explained in my intro, it was Teodora Petkova that first introduced me to this movement and David Kutcher who further nourished my interest. It has felt like a wonderful continuation to carry the torch after they got me motivated. Stumbling upon "Festina lente" was an added bonus because I'd never heard it before and it's just so perfect. Its own small koan.
Gina Fiedel festina lente is the quote for the opening section of my novel. :)
ReplyDeleteNo WAY Zara Altair. That's really amazing.
ReplyDeleteYour novel? Do tell more. Please!
Gina Fiedel Writing in my copious spare time. :)
ReplyDeleteFelix Ravenna: A Mosaic
In the early Sixth Century the capital of Italy was not Rome. Italy and much of southern Europe was ruled by the self-declared Ostrogoth King Theoderic. Rome was resentful. The Roman World, centered in Constantinople, was avaricious.
Argolicus, a young magistrate, is summoned to the new capital, Ravenna, by his childhood friend to work directly for the King. Before he has finished unpacking his boxes, a deacon is found dead on the floor of the King’s chapel.
As he begins his investigation he discovers that there is much he does not know: about the king’s court, about the dual legal system for Italians and Goths, about the mysteries of the Orthodox church and the many proclaimed heresies, and about love.
Wow Zara Altair. That sounds ambitious and fascinating- and like it requires rigorous research. Must be wonderful to work on it.
ReplyDeleteGina Fiedel It is fun to research. Lots of reading in Italian, thanks to professors at the Universita di Bologna, Ravenna, and the 30 kilos of books. :) They were so gracious when I was there.
ReplyDeleteZara Altair now I know you know Italian :) I might send you a private message in Italian to practice a bit this beautiful language :)
ReplyDeleteGina Fiedel :) thanks for the mention, this "Festina lente" was what my Latin teacher used when me and my friend were always late for classes :D
Teodora Petkova Latin teachers are an odd lot. :)
ReplyDeleteZara Altair :)) They are. I used to be one. But only for 5 years. Plus I think my oddity comes from somewhere else :D
ReplyDeletep.s. :) I just looked up odd lot. Almost got it :)
ReplyDeleteTeodora Petkova :)
ReplyDelete