FridayFavourites

FridayFavourites
Thanks to Dustin W. Stout and purple for the inclusion.
Don't miss SEO Hell for an hour of laughs.
Originally shared by Mick Sharpe
No fooling
After last week’s glitches with the short URLs I’ve got my fingers crossed that goo.gl is behaving today. I’ve also enjoyed the plethora of April Fool’s postings particularly those that herald the resurrection of defunct Google products and services - I knew I should have stayed clear of the Internet that day. And wouldn’t you know David Amerland has written on the very subject of April Fool’s in Lying is not as easy as you think (http://goo.gl/UU2wP8). After reading the article I think I need to go and watch the SEO Hell HOA Another SEO book by David Amerland? (http://goo.gl/BpKcR9) with Oleg Moskalensky. My weekend viewing I think.
I know most of my Google+ friends are also active on LinkedIn. It’s the other platform where I spend some time online. Greg Cooper and Sarah Santacroce keep us on the straight and narrow in LinkedIn Etiquette. How to stop upsetting people on LinkedIn. (http://goo.gl/bznyqZ). You’ll pick up some very handy tips in this 30 minute show. I know I may have to review my connection strategy. I make most connection requests from the People You May Know page which, I believe, sends out the standard message. I should go through their profile and make a personalised request from there. Good information about groups in the latter half of the show, well worth viewing.
There’s no waiting for the sun to cross the yardarm as Mia Voss continues her birthday tour across Italy in Live from Rome! #MiaOnTheGo - The Mia Connect Power Chat (http://goo.gl/Bl1c7s) opening with the line It’s never too early for Prosecco! As ever the wine and #infotainment flows with the comments ably wrangled by Debi Davis. Well worth taking notes if you’re planning a trip to Rome.
Another very comprehensive article from Eric Enge Does Author Authority Still Matter? (http://goo.gl/6yDVx6). Eric shares his thoughts about the value of Author Authority post Google’s abandonment of the Authorship programme. Solid reasons for building your authority in the latter half of the article and it’s no surprise that the things that will improve your authority will almost certainly be of benefit to your SEO.
Marilyn Moore stood firm on April 1 and published Memo to Small Business: It's a New Day for SEO (http://goo.gl/fh5IZh). No foolery here, Marilyn does her usual easy-to-consume guide for small businesses hoping to build a business asset on the web. Drawing on David Amerland’s SEO Help: 20 Semantic Search Steps That Will Help Your Business Grow Marilyn list the steps that any business owner can implement to improve their position in search and make their business better (they go hand-in-hand these days). Notice the marker laid down for the forthcoming SEO Help for Small Business HOA (April 14). Add to your diary, it will be a worthwhile discussion.
Gina Fiedel also had the courage to post a real article on Fool’s Day. Stalking The Wild Idea- The Wily Idea For Writing Content - The Fastest, Easiest Way To Find That Elusive Thing (http://goo.gl/9ZbPrN). Grab Toto and let your mind run away with Gina’s masterful wordcraft. As writers we often set ourselves an almost impossible task of finding that something that will delight us and our readers. Gina draws on a thoughtful walk that brought home the value of going with what you know and where you are at rather than overcomplicating the process. We often feel that our own knowledge and experience is less significant as Gina states I had assumed that what I already knew was without value or importance. That solid base of what we know already is indeed the best starting point for any creative writing and a point from which good things flow with more ease. Take the plunge into this delightful, inspiring article. Gina, the book’s coming soon, right?
If you’ve ever wondered whether Google+ could be of benefit to your business then take a look at The PYB Show! - How is G+ Helping Your Business? (http://goo.gl/h9aR3R). Greg Cooper takes the host role introducing Ana Hoffman, Carrie-Anne Foster, Leila Martin, Mary Stovall and Travis Taylor as they discuss their experience of Google+ and how they have utilised the Google+ services in their businesses. I thought Leila’s use of HOAs for private training sessions is inspired - cost savings and lasting benefit for her clients is a great way of building reputation and generating referrals, not to mention avoiding traffic! As ever great stuff from the Plus Your Business! community.
Almost missed this from Stephan Hovnanian. Want to know the secret to building a platform for yourself online? (http://goo.gl/57Talj). This seminal, no image post from straight-talking Stephan is a must read for anyone spinning their wheels in Social Media. More specifically Stephan advocates the need to identify your true audience (the ones that become your customers and pay your bills!). You should always have them in mind when writing and sharing content (if you’re here for business purposes). It all comes down to your why? (Did I mention any time that is my favourite word?) Do take a look through the comments too as a great post always stimulates a great discussion (both humorous and insightful). Looking forward to the next instalment as Stephan hints there is more to come.
Thinkers corner
Mob mentality comes under the eyes of the #RayLunchBunch in Is Social Media a Mobocracy? (http://goo.gl/Tng3gY). I dare say we’ve all seen, and possibly participated in, the very public lambasting that often occurs on the Internet. Sometimes any criticism may be warranted but there’s no doubt that it can be very hurtful to the recipient when delivered wholesale with vehemence. Unless you have a Rhino hide it is difficult to ignore such an attack. It behoves us all to curb our pack mentality and have a little more empathy at times. Another excellent 30 minutes from Ray Hiltz, Jessica Dewell, B.L. Ochman and Scott Scowcroft
And finally…
Back by popular demand Dustin W. Stout joins Zara Altair for Midweek Zap - Image Foolery (http://goo.gl/zYO1rs) expanding on branding and colour theory (choosing the right colour for your brand based on your desired customer emotional response). Purple for problem solving! Always good to keep your visual knowledge up to date.
Have a great weekend wherever you are
#WeeklyRoundUp #WeekInReview #Google +
#BitingedgeFridayFavourites #MicksPicks
Created by Mick Sharpe of Bitingedge
Comments
Post a Comment