Windows 10 & Chrome
Windows 10 & Chrome
Jason Darrell supplies a fix for double spacing.
Great tip if you are experiencing this problem.
#windows10 #textediting
Originally shared by Jason Darrell
Overlooking the blindingly obvious
Since installing #Windows10 , I've had a problem typing in the browser. If I edit a line then begin typing again from that edit, the browser or Win10 starts to put two spaces in between each new word.
It happens when creating an update on social, answering questions on Quora and typing in plain old text editors.
Mayhap it's a conflict between Windows and Google Chrome, accidental or otherwise. But it's a huge pain, especially if you don't notice that the browser's having a flip and you rattle off a couple of hundred words blind only to have to go back and delete the additional space between each word in that session.
I've looked for solutions online before, but it appears to be a known issue in Windows with little in the way of resolution.
You cannot be serious!
Things came to a head today as I was entering tweets into Google Sheet ready to bulk upload to Hootsuite.
As soon as I began typing in a row, double spacing appeared from the very first word. I was not a happy bunny, especially as I have the =LEN(CELL_REF) function at the end of each row to count my characters. There were very nearly tears and tantrums, oh yes.
There is a god - his name is 'aki'
Then I found this solution proffered by 'aki' on Stack Exchange - you have to scroll down a bit, and it's the 10-point solution near the bottom of the thread.
True, the question relates to MS Word. But the #CTRLH function is pretty universal, right?
Sure enough, I typed my Tweet into the Google Sheet cell, double-spaced and all. Then I selected that cell and hit CTRL+H.
In the first "Find What?" row I entered a double space. In the second "Replace With" row I hit a single space (no, the browser didn't enter a double in the pop-up) and in the "Search" I selected "Specific Range", which defaulted to the cell I'd selected with the spaces I wanted to remove.
I hit the "Done" button and, Hey Presto!, all of the double-spacing disappeared and the tool replaced it with single-spaced words.
I'm pretty sure the CTRL+H function won't work directly on social where you type directly into an update box. But if you're in the habit of writing out post content in the browser in a text editor and you get the mysterious double-space issue happen to you, try it.
As aki said on this post, "CTRL+H is your friend". Agreed and I'm off to buy her a pint. Ciao!
http://superuser.com/a/964005/408497?sgp=2
Jason Darrell supplies a fix for double spacing.
Great tip if you are experiencing this problem.
#windows10 #textediting
Originally shared by Jason Darrell
Overlooking the blindingly obvious
Since installing #Windows10 , I've had a problem typing in the browser. If I edit a line then begin typing again from that edit, the browser or Win10 starts to put two spaces in between each new word.
It happens when creating an update on social, answering questions on Quora and typing in plain old text editors.
Mayhap it's a conflict between Windows and Google Chrome, accidental or otherwise. But it's a huge pain, especially if you don't notice that the browser's having a flip and you rattle off a couple of hundred words blind only to have to go back and delete the additional space between each word in that session.
I've looked for solutions online before, but it appears to be a known issue in Windows with little in the way of resolution.
You cannot be serious!
Things came to a head today as I was entering tweets into Google Sheet ready to bulk upload to Hootsuite.
As soon as I began typing in a row, double spacing appeared from the very first word. I was not a happy bunny, especially as I have the =LEN(CELL_REF) function at the end of each row to count my characters. There were very nearly tears and tantrums, oh yes.
There is a god - his name is 'aki'
Then I found this solution proffered by 'aki' on Stack Exchange - you have to scroll down a bit, and it's the 10-point solution near the bottom of the thread.
True, the question relates to MS Word. But the #CTRLH function is pretty universal, right?
Sure enough, I typed my Tweet into the Google Sheet cell, double-spaced and all. Then I selected that cell and hit CTRL+H.
In the first "Find What?" row I entered a double space. In the second "Replace With" row I hit a single space (no, the browser didn't enter a double in the pop-up) and in the "Search" I selected "Specific Range", which defaulted to the cell I'd selected with the spaces I wanted to remove.
I hit the "Done" button and, Hey Presto!, all of the double-spacing disappeared and the tool replaced it with single-spaced words.
I'm pretty sure the CTRL+H function won't work directly on social where you type directly into an update box. But if you're in the habit of writing out post content in the browser in a text editor and you get the mysterious double-space issue happen to you, try it.
As aki said on this post, "CTRL+H is your friend". Agreed and I'm off to buy her a pint. Ciao!
http://superuser.com/a/964005/408497?sgp=2


Bless you, Zara Altair - I know I'm not the only one. Sometimes we look for the Über-technical when simple is best. And, boy, did I feel simple??!! ☺
ReplyDeleteJason Darrell :) I do have a PC with Windows 10 but rarely use it online. Thanks so much for the simple!!! :)
ReplyDelete